Transfer Credit

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Registrar Office

Office of the Registrar


The Office of the Registrar manages transfer credit. The Transfer Credit Coordinator facilitates the process of transferring graduate coursework from regionally accredited institutions outside of Teachers College that was completed prior to enrolling at TC. Students eligible to transfer credit must apply to have credits from previous graduate coursework transferred toward their Teachers College degree. Transfer credit is awarded at the discretion of the Transfer Credit Coordinator and the student's faculty advisor.  Please read the information below and visit our other pages for more information regarding eligibility and the transfer credit process and application.

Any student who has completed graduate level course work outside of Teachers College and is enrolled in an Ed.D., Ed.D.C.T., Ph.D., Ed.M., or M.S. program is eligible to transfer credit with a few exceptions*.  MA students are NOT eligible to transfer credit. 

In order for a course to be eligible to transfer, completed coursework must be graduate level and have not been applied toward a completed bachelors degree.  The course grade awarded must be a "B" or better. Eligible courses are not guaranteed  to transfer.  A student's faculty advisor reviews eligible credits and approves transfer credit based on course content and applicability to your program of study at Teachers College.  

*The only MS programs that allow transfer credit are (1) Math Education, and (2) Teacher Education in Science.